Welsh rarebit - it's cheese sauce made with beer! How good does that sound? It's real comfort food for these cooler winter days.
Our smoky Gladstone cashew cheese elevates the warmth level, and we have chosen the perfect beer to pair with it. We have used West Street Ale from one of our favourite local craft breweries - Miners Gold in Beaconsfield. I like to think it draws together the mining heritage of both Wales and Beaconsfield.
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 1 tbsp Nuttelex or other butter alternative
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ c plant based milk
- ½ c beer
- 1 tsp mustard powder1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 60g Gladstone cashew cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Snipped chives for garnish
Melt butter over medium heat.
Add flour and stir until blended. Cook for a minute or so without browning.
- Gradually add the plant based milk and then beer, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add mustard and worcestershire sauce.
- Toss the grated cheese with the tapioca flour in a small bowl. Add to the sauce, gradually.
- Whisk well until the cheese is all melted and the sauce is smooth. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the toast slices in a heat proof dish and spoon the cheese sauce over.
- Place under the grill and cook until bubbling and browned.
- Serve garnished with snipped chives.